Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What's Cookin':

Right now it's 11:27 am, I'm watching the Obama inaugural parade on CNN.com live w/ Facebook - Let me just take a moment to say...... WOOOHOO!!!!!!!

Earlier this morning I did a little bit of cooking - Okay, so it's not Hawaiian food, but I made it in Hawaii!

I referenced a few recipes for each of these but sort-of threw it together with what I had and what made sense. Here goes:

Banana Walnut Bread:


4 over-ripe bananas
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract (aprox)
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 turns of salt from the grinder
1 cup walnut pieces

Mix everything together, put in a bread pan - the one that I had was slightly more like a cake pan so it made a wide, low loaf of bread. Bake at 350 for about an hour.

** This was awesome. I mean, really awesome. I think it may be my best banana bread ever, and you know me and my banana bread.... okay, maybe you don't, but I make banana bread pretty frequently because I forget to eat bananas. This recipe was a combination of my B is for Banana Bread classic recipe, and two others that I found online that looked good, so I kind of winged it. But it turned out great. I would note that the 1 cup of walnut pieces makes for a relatively nutty loaf of bread, and you may want to reduce that to 3/4 cup if you don't want nuts in practically every bite. Of course, you could leave them out entirely if you don't like them, your choice, but then it wouldn't be Banana Walnut bread, now would it?

Guacamole:


1 insanely huge-mongous avocado, pitted and scooped out
1 red chilli pepper
1/2 lemon or lime, juiced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
a few grinds of salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together in a big bowl till it looks like guacamole. Eat it.


in case you wondered what that monster avocado looked like inside - the stone was the size of a clementine!


**The only thing that I really feel that I am missing in this is 1/2 red onion minced and some chopped cilantro (i decided to forgo the cilantro expense here in Hawaii and used the whole onion the other day when making sausage and perogues). I think it would also do nicely with 1/2 tsp or so of ground cumin which we didn't have and i didn't feel the need to purchase just to make this - so I threw in a little bit of onion powder to see how that worked out.

**The next day I chopped up and added 1/2 red onion and that was a big improvement. So, the only thing that I think this really lacks for my taste is the cilantro and it could use a hotter pepper - the red one only has a little bite, I would try a jalapeno next time for some extra kick. But that's me. Other than that, this rocks.

Haven't taisted either yet, but I'm sure they'll be taisty. I'll comment on that and post their pics in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment