Monday, June 15, 2009

Welcome to Amish Country.

Aloha! I mean, Hello!

I've been in Lancaster, PA for 2 weeks now. This is the town that I grew up in, and I'm staying here for the next month working as a dresser for the Fulton Opera House's production of Les Miserables.

Since I grew up here, I suppose that I have somewhat taken my town for granted - I'm not phased by horse and buggies, or amish and mennonites walking around, since I see them pretty frequently. However, since I began my blog on Hawai'i, I figured that while I'm back here I should blog about this town - just because I'm used to all this doesn't mean that you are, my reader friends! And, even if you are, perhaps you'll find something of interest in here.

I think we often take for granted the neighborhoods we grow up in, and after learning so much about Kona and the Big Island, I realized there's probably a lot that I don't know and a lot that I haven't seen about my own city. So, even though I'm working, I'm going to try to treat some of my time here like a tourist - much as I have always hated tourist season! - and check out some stuff from my home town.

Also, while I'm working, I go out a lot with my cast and crew from the show, so I'm sure I'll be posting photos from some of our events. Plus I'm helping my parents with some remodeling/redecorating of their house, so that should be an adventure in itself, I'm sure!

But lancaster is a lot more than Amish, as some people think. I live and work in Lancaster City right now, the down-town area of which has really become an amazing place in the past few years with lots of art galleries, vintage stores, boutiques and coffee shops mixed in with all of the old historical buildings around the city.

I know it's no Hawaii, but I hope you enjoy reading about some of my adventures here in little ole Lancaster County.

No comments:

Post a Comment