Saturday, October 10, 2009

Farmers Market

Of course in my process of bundling up to walk around, I forgot my camera today.

Jeff and I went to the farmers market that is on the [very large] block of the capitol building. There where tons of vendors there, and apparently this is a weekly thing. We overheard that it moves inside once it gets colder, and have to find out more info on that so we can continue to go.

Overall there where a lot of cheese stands (no surprise there!), but there also seemed to be a lot of hot peppers and hot pepper flavored things (maybe because it's cold? and hot stuff keeps you warm?), jerkey and beef sticks, and a lot of popcorn! Of course, lots of pumpkins too, but it's October so that's probably everywhere.

We ate a bunch of samples, we each had handmade donuts for breakfast, hot cheddar beef sticks, empenadas, and picked up some cheddar potatoes bread for later (which was fantastic).

As much as I enjoyed walking around the capital, I was really confused about the 'city'-ness of this city! Here we where in the middle of the city and there where people walking around the farmers market, but nowhere else! No cars! Where was the city?? Friends where telling me that I'd love Madison, and that I'd be happy to be in a city again (even though our house is 10 miles outside of the city proper) - and here I was in the city, and confused - what where they talking about, this place is empty! Cute, but empty!

We even walked by a group of college kids that commented on one of the Walgreens being less ghetto than one that was 3 blocks away. "Ghetto"? We laughed so hard. I doubt these kids have ever seen a ghetto first of all, second of all, you are in Madison. It is impossible for anything here to be described at all as remotely ghetto! Lol. You poor children have no clue....

At any rate, after the farmers market, i saw a cute street and began walking that way. The farther we walked, the more restaurants and shops there became - HEY! I FOUND THE CITY! It's on State Street!

Finally i realized what my friends must have been talking about. Restaurants, shopping, museums, galleries, cafes, all of it..... Okay, this is cute. Now if only our apartment where here, I would be even happier, but that's okay. That just means that I'll have to find out the buss route!

We finally left a little earlier than I would have liked, but it was cold, cold, cold outside and we weren't quite warmed up enough and headed home to do just that. What a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment